Catholic church in Lisbon, Portugal
Located in Largo do Amparo, in Olinda, the Church of Our Lady of Amparo was built in 1613 by the Brotherhood of Our Lady of the Amparo of the Black Men. Curiously, its members wore a black habit with a white hood.
Less than two decades after it was built, the building was destroyed by a fire started by the Dutch (in 1631). However, because it was one of the most traditional Catholic temples, it was rebuilt in 1644. Reconstruction continued until the late 18th century, when the chapel, main altar, side altars and lining were duly decorated in Baroque style.